How Can I Get A Work Permit?

Your eligibility to work legally in the U.S. is tied to your immigration status, which is not easy to discernible at times.  At the outset, please note that lawful permanent residents do not need an employment authorization document other than their green card. If you do not have your green card, here are a few (not all) of the ways to obtain a valid employment authorization card.

The following categories of foreign workers are eligible to apply for an employment authorization document:

  • Asylees and asylum seekers
  • Refugees
  • Students seeking particular types of employment
  • Foreign nationals in the U.S. pursuing the final stage of permanent residence
  • Nationals of certain countries given Temporary Protected Status or TPS due to conditions in their home countries
  • Fiancés of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses of U.S citizens with pending green card applications
  • Dependents of foreign government officials
  • J-2 spouses or minor children of exchange visitors
  • H2A and H2B workers
  • DACA recipients
  • Some foreign nationals in removal proceedings
  • Foreign nationals released under an order of supervision
  • Other workers depending on circumstances

Many other individuals may be eligible to work in the U.S. as a result of their nonimmigrant status.  For more information on whether you are eligible to obtain an employment card, please call us for a 10-minute free consultation over the telephone or set up an appointment to meet with us in person.

Leave your comment

Please enter your name.
Please enter comment.